Japanese skincare fuses the best of tradition and innovation. Japan’s brightening and whitening protectors are especially popular. The exfoliators in particular promote healthy skin and a scientific approach to facial care.
Let us look at 14 of the best Japanese exfoliators on the market that you should add your skincare routine!
What should you look for in your exfoliator?
- It should effectively eliminate dead skin cells
- It should preserve the moisture of your skin
- It should add to the healthiness of your face
- It should brighten your skin with consistent use
1. Cure Natural Aqua Gel
Cure Natural Aqua Gel is a well-liked exfoliant because of its soothing, water-based formula that effectively eliminates dead skin cells. It depends strongly on 90% Activated Hydrogen Water. Its antioxidant properties get rid of any dirt, bacteria, or excess material on your face.
This exfoliator also nourishes your skin by adding aloe vera, gingko, and rosemary essences. It even works on sensitive skin! It has no irritants such as tints, fragrances, or even microbeads.
- A water-based formula safe for sensitive skin
- Nourishes your skin with aloe vera, gingko, and rosemary essences
2. DHC Skin Refresh
DHC Skin Refresh is a leave-on exfoliant that brightens your skin and improves its texture. Leave-on means you don’t need to wash it off after using! However, it is also water-soluble, which means you don’t need to strip it off with soap. It will come off with water if it needs to.
With vitamin C and Indian soapberry extracts, the exfoliator prevents skin damage and preserves moisture. The ingredients do not include alcohol, scent, or anything to color the exfoliator. Any skin type can use it!
- A leave-on exfoliant that brightens the skin
- Uses vitamin C and Indian soapberry extracts for healthier skin
3. SATOCANE Pore Purifying Scrub Mask
The SATOCANE Pore Purifying Scrub Mask is an absorbent exfoliant. You apply it evenly all over your face (minus eyes and mouth). After 5 minutes, wet your hands and massage all over before rinsing.
The mask exfoliants absorb bad matter and clean your face, unclogging your pores. Pores will shrink, blackheads will fade, and your skin will feel smooth and soft.
- A face mask that absorbs bacteria and dead skin cells
- Shrinks pores and fades blackheads
4. Fancl Skin Renewal Pack
The Fancl Skin Renewal Pack is a rinse-off mask, gentle to the skin. It gives your skin a plumper, more hydrated look and feel. It uses many added minerals that nourish your skin as it exfoliates. These minerals include Pear Juice Extract, Fresh Royal Jelly Extract, and Rice Extract.
Together, these minerals remove any hardened or dry skin, soften the renewed surface, and help produce new skin cells. It has no preservatives, fragrances, or alcohol that might affect sensitive skin. Leave on for 5 minutes before rinsing.
- Makes your skin plumper and more hydrated
- Washes off hardened or dry skin
5. Hada Labo AHA + BHA Mild Exfoliating Face Wash
This mild exfoliating face wash is a rinse-off exfoliator that hydrates your skin and adds nutrients to it. The wash first cleanses, removing dead skin cells and fading blackheads. It then protects your skin by forming a natural barrier against impurities.
Lastly, the wash refreshes and hydrates your skin. It leaves you with a radiant, glowing finish and brightens your skin over time
- A rinse-off exfoliator that cleanses and protects
- Leaves radiant and bright skin
6. Kanebo Suisai Beauty Clear Powder
Each pod of Kanebo Suisai Beauty Clear Powder contains enzymes that mix with water to create a creamy exfoliating foam. Marketed as a cleanser, it actually operates as an exfoliant. Two kinds of enzymes and amino acid cleansers scrub off dry skin cells.
Mix the powder with a little cold or lukewarm water before lathering it onto your face. Take your time and allow the foam to take effect. Rinse off and see the results.
- Uses enzyme technology to exfoliate the skin
- Leaves the skin soft and healthy
You May Also Like: Must-Have Japanese Face Washes
7. Rosette Gommage Peeling Gel
Fruit-extracted acids like lactic, citric, and malic acid are blended in this science-based peeling gel exfoliator. The acids remove dead skin cells and smoothen your skin. Fermented soy milk extract preserves your skin’s moisture and nourishes it for a healthy glow.
To use, make sure your skin is dry before you use the gel. Massage a small amount into your face, avoiding your eyes and mouth. Keep up a gentle massage for 2 minutes before rinsing off.
- Uses lactic, citric, and malic acid to peel off dead skin cells
- Preserves the moisture in your skin through fermented soy milk extract
8. Pola Thoro Exfoliating Mask
This pull-off exfoliating mask is used for your T-zone (across the forehead down to your chin). It is water-based and deeply hydrating. The solution absorbs and sticks to sebum and dry skin cells.
After 15 to 20 minutes, take hold of the mask from the bottom and slowly pull it upwards with a single motion. This ensures that the sebum and impurities are lifted from your skin. Your skin will be clearer and more radiant.
- A pull-off mask to exfoliate your T-zone
- Deep-cleanses by pulling away all impurities
9. Sekkisei Clear Brightening Mask
This exfoliating mask peels off, leaving your skin clean and fully refreshed. For the best possible natural effect, it uses a number of herbal extracts in its ingredients. Coix seed brightens the skin, Angelica extract maintains hydration, and Melothria adds moisture.
To prevent the skin from accumulating impurities, Chinese Quince extract prevents the build-up of sebum. Red Oolong Tea extract, on the other hand, tightens the pores for a smoother finish.
- This peel-off mask refreshes the skin
- Many herbal ingredients clean and refresh the skin
10. Biore Rose Quartz + Charcoal Gentle Pore Refining Scrub
This exfoliant combines the purifying qualities of charcoal with gentle exfoliation in Biore Rose Quartz + Charcoal Gentle Pore Refining Scrub. Micro-crystals infused into the exfoliant gently scrub the skin of impurities.
The exfoliant loosens and lifts oil and dirt from the skin as you scrub. It has both natural charcoal and rose quartz to tighten pores and detoxify the skin
- Exfoliates through a micro-crystal scrub
- Tightens pores and detoxifies the skin
11. Haba Mineral Clay Mask
This gently exfoliating mineral clay mask has the best of traditional and modern technology. Sun-dried white clay from France forms the base of this material and infuses minerals into the skin. Technicians use rose clay from Brazil to make the skin more elastic and boost collagen.
Marine silt from Okinawa forms an essential part of the clay mask. It absorbs dirt and impurities at a molecular level, and nourishes the skin. Bulgarian fermented rose honey exfoliates the skin, removing dead skin cells and cleaning the texture.
- A wide range of ingredients clean and exfoliate the skin
- Your skin feels nourished and healthy after application
12. Meishoku – Detclear Facial Peeling Jelly
If you tend towards dry or very dry skin, you may want to use the Meishoku Detclear facial peeling jelly. It has both fruit and plant extracts, which naturally sink into your skin and cleanse it.
Massage the facial peeling jelly into your skin, all over your face (except your eyes and mouth). Leave it on for a few minutes. You will physically see the emergence of impurities, sebum, and other pollutants. Rinse off the jelly when you sense your skin has purged.
- Good for dry or very dry skin
- Fruit and plant extracts flush your skin of impurities
13. HIJIRIKO Facial Soap
HIJIRIKO facial soap uses the science behind volcanic mud to absorb toxins and impurities from your skin. The gentle scrub-like texture exfoliates your skin, removing dead skin cells and excess oil and sebum.
For best results, lather the foam gently over your face. Use your hands rather than a lathering sponge for sensitive skin. After a few moments of gentle lathering, rinse off the foam.
- Volcanic mud absorbs toxins and impurities from your skin
- A scrub-like texture exfoliates the skin
14. Shu Uemura Blanc:Chroma Cleansing Oil
The Shu Uemura cleansing oils operate much as exfoliators. They cleanse your skin of impurities long before any can set or be absorbed. The Blanc:Chroma Cleansing Oil uses Japanese charcoal technology to raise impurities out of your skin.
Use the cleansing oil to remove impurities from your skin and preserve its moisture. This oil prepares your skin for the complete after-shower skincare routine by nourishing and flushing it in advance.
- This cleansing oil also exfoliates your skin
- Charcoal technology removes impurities
Which exfoliator should you get?
Whether you prefer a gentle water-based gel or an exfoliating oil, these 14 exfoliators offer a range of options to suit various skin types and concerns. Incorporating one of these exfoliators into your skincare routine can help you achieve a bright and healthy complexion.