Best Winter Illuminations In Tokyo – One of the most popular activities during winter in Tokyo is to go on a night walk by the gorgeous Christmas illuminations that the city of lights has to offer! You will be mesmerized by the beauty of the thousands of lights that decorate the streets of Tokyo and the magical vibes of Christmas will enchant you.
The good thing is that a lot of the illuminations are not actually limited to the Christmas season and last sometimes until February!
So to make your life easier, we selected for you the 5 best Tokyo illuminations that you need to check out during winter 2020-2021. Have fun and let us know which one was your favorite!
1. Roppongi Hills Winter Illuminations
You may have seen them in the cover picture of this article, the winter illuminations of Roppongi Hills are absolutely fantastic.
The lights decorate Keyakizaka Street beautifully and one of the best spots to admire them is from behind the Roppongi Hills tower. From there, you will also have an amazing view of Tokyo Tower!
- Dates: 13th Nov–25th Dec 2020
- Time: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
- Nearest Station: Roppongi Station
- Exact Location: https://goo.gl/maps/ZMtSx7nyY33bRpH68
2. Tokyo Midtown Roppongi Winter Illuminations
We’re still in the same neighborhood, now visiting the gorgeous Roppongi Midtown illumination. They really took it to the next level in 2020 by installing a big snow globe and some interactive games. The illuminations are scheduled from the 22nd of December to the 11th of January and stay on until 8 pm only so make sure you get there on time.
Also, note that there’s a great ice rink just next to the illumination spots.
- Dates: 19th Nov–28th Feb 2021
- Time: From 5 pm to 8 pm from the 22nd of December to the 11th of January. From 5 pm to 11 pm for the rest of the time.
- Nearest Station: Roppongi or Nogizaka Station
- Exact Location: https://goo.gl/maps/pBXkneKYwd1MKEm89
3. Tokyo Midtown Hibiya Winter Illuminations
Don’t get confused, this place is also called Tokyo Midtown (the same company that runs both buildings) but this one is actually located in Hibiya and not in Roppongi. As you can see, with all the amazing lights on the trees, it feels like you’re in a fairy tale. If you are in Tokyo, it’s a must-go destination in winter 2020-2021!
- Dates: 17th Nov–14th Feb 2021
- Time: 5pm to 11pm
- Nearest Station: Hibiya
- Exact Location: https://goo.gl/maps/dbwBycoW1QFb38dw7
4. Marunouchi Winter Illuminations (Tokyo Station)
Not too far from Hibiya, you’ll find the very popular Marunouchi winter illuminations. This year, they are actually celebrating their 19th anniversary with no less than 2 million lights of a beautiful champagne gold color. Fancy, isn’t it?
The cool thing is that they are using eco-illuminations which use 65% less energy than normal lights. Eco-friendly indeed!
- Dates: 5th Nov–14th Feb 2021
- Time: 3pm to 11pm
- Nearest Station: Hibiya, Yurakucho or Tokyo Station
- Exact Location: https://goo.gl/maps/x3xYWissH2zZaMFQ6
5. Yebisu Garden Place Winter Illuminations
Yebisu Garden Place is a very popular destination for couples during winter in Tokyo! In addition to the gorgeous illuminations, there’s a long and romantic red carpet, a huge 10-meter high Christmas tree, and the biggest Baccarat chandelier in the world! Its height is 5 meters and it has around 8 472 crystal parts!
At 5 pm, the chandelier will be lit every 30 minutes so don’t miss the show!
- Dates: 14th Nov–11th Jan 2021
- Nearest Station: Ebisu Station
- Exact Location: https://goo.gl/maps/pWkSSqPBmoqygM887
That was our top 5, folks! We hope you enjoyed this list and I’m sure you can’t wait to see these beautiful Tokyo winter illuminations and get some cool selfies here and there!
By the way, all those events are free!
Enjoy your winter in Tokyo and take care!